We have worn our very own trail between our hotel and the hospital, visiting a couple times a day, every day since Saturday. Drugs, doctors, tests. We´re now well acquainted with the Honduran medical system, which I have to say, is quite good.
As of this morning, the rash that had taken up a nomadic trail all over my body for days on end, has finally left. And my face looks like me again. Nothing left but puffy ankles (and who doesn´t have that sometimes) and a big bag of drugs.
A nice variety of tests show everything in my system to be pretty much normal. So no infection. Which means, according to the very helpful dermatologist who finally shepherded my case along, that it was probably a food allergy. Now I´ve got a full page listing all my favorite foods that I´m not allowed to eat for two weeks. Then I guess I reintroduce them, if I dare, one at a time to see what it was.
I still suspect the experimental mango-lemon hybrid fruit which I´ll surely never see again. Wouldn´t it be great if it was that? Please don´t let it be chocolate or cheese or eggs or tomatoes or pineapple. I hope I´m not destined to be one of those people on an airplane demanding to know if any peanuts have ever been allowed on board.
La Ceiba is a nice place, but after spending so much time here, mostly at the hospital, we´re going to skip the Spanish classes and move on. One more day and night just to make sure there aren´t any more surprise emergency room visits, then we´re heading for barrier reef snorkeling off one of the Bay Islands, called Utila. Lyle, the fabulous guy who helps run the hotel where we´re staying, used to live there and assures me the doctor on the island is one of the best.
As per Amy´s request, hopefully news on this blog will now return to things that make everyone jealous again.
Wow, is it good to be healthy. No matter how pretty the beach, nothing looks right through sick eyes. And everything, seriously, everything looks better now.
2 comments:
Man, I don't check the blog for a few days and look what happens!
Glad you're on the road to recovery. You poor thing.
Phew, so glad everything's back to normal.
Would now be a good time to ask for pictures of a puffy Leah?
Post a Comment