Wow, this is a big country, especially when you try to leave it heading south from Minnesota. We're still in the U.S., now hiding out from the holidays with friend Colin in Austin, Texas.
Last night she showed us a bit of the town, starting with delicious Tex Mex food. Two kinds of tamales and tacos al pastor ... mmmm.
Then we went to a club expecting to hear Omar and the Wailers. Before the pleasure of Omar, a big man with a very deep voice who works a big Fender like it's an amazing little toy, the stage was taken over by a bunch of locals and visitors, all musician friends of Terry Allen. I don't know all of their names, but I think I probably should have, judging by their talent and the crowd's reverence. We did recognize Joe Ely. Yeah, really. And a Dixie Chick was spotted in the crowd.
Favorite song by Joe Ely was "Deportee" and favorite song of the night was when they all got on stage for "Not Fade Away" which transitioned to "Who Do You Love?" and back again to that great Buddy Holly tune. And Omar was great too. Finally I realized I was kinda sleeping while still bouncing my head to the Wailers' beat, and we called it a night.
Wow, that was so exactly what we were hoping Austin would be like, but how often does it actually work that way? Happy holidays everyone.
No comments:
Post a Comment